Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ambition to Travel


Although Scarface is not really seen as a traveler's film, it holds a special place in my heart as a backpacker. The first time I saw the classic film, I was primarily interested in the violence and action of this rags-to-riches Cuban thug destroying everything around him on his path to success. After another viewing or two, I recognized and appreciated this man's unstoppable ambition and how empowering it was. I wanted to emulate this aspect of him in a different context. More specifically, the context of a backpacker.

I never wanted to let my dreams of traveling remain dreams up until my death. I also noticed too many people around me passing their own personal dreams back for "another day that never came." With increased technology, improving transportation, and budgeting options, the world really can be yours with the right mix of motivation. You really do have the capability to chip away at your personal bucket list.


Ambition puts your pursuits in a tangible perspective. Instead of thinking how difficult a goal is, you act in a way that brings you closer to the pursuit. When I chose to backpack Europe, I knew that from the time I made this decision up until the day I left on that plane to Frankfurt, I had to make some serious moves. Since I was taking 18 credit hours for pre-medical courses, I knew I could only work on the weekends. I took up two jobs and piled in the hours from morning until night. I sold all the things I realized were not necessary.


One of my jobs was at a restaurant. When I had extra time, I would cook steaks for my whole dorm floor with a small up-charge to make some extra money. My story is nothing compared to some others. One man I met from Canada survived an extra two weeks on his trip without having any money left in his account solely to continue the experience. One older hippy I met actually began busking once he ran out of money and eventually got back on his feet. Since then, he has been traveling throughout the world on his own means.
 
Another man I met from South Korea sold his car to go to Italy. He did not know what he would do when he got back but you will be damn sure he was fully in the moment during his travels. These sacrifices people make to travel really add value to the whole experience. Even now, I laugh at how tired and grumpy I would be at times from work and the lack of sleep. I felt incredibly tired and fatigued at times but one thing I never felt was powerless. I knew I was making my dreams a reality. I hope you do the same. If you want to plan a journey and have some difficulties, comment below and I would be glad to help.


Believe in yourself.
Stay traveling my friends


1 comment:

  1. Did not expect that comparison but it still was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete